12 June 2012

Lets Get Retarted - Cauliflower & Caramelised Onion Tart





Today I would like to share with you one of my most favourite, famous dishes. This dish is perfect for picnics, lunches, served cold in summer or fresh from the oven in winter, passes down from generation to generation . . Ok, so I found it on easyasveganpie a couple of years ago and having been making it ever since. 
This pie. Is amazing. I know I use way too many dramatic full stop sentences about all of my meals, but honestly - this pie is sooo good. I love cauliflower, I love caramalised onions, I like dijon mustard, such awesome flavours combined to make 1 super flavour, so without further ado, I introduce:


The Cauliflower & Caramalised Onion Tart
(via easyasveganpie)


Ingredients
1 medium head of cauliflower3 tbsp of olive oil2 large brown onions1 tbsp of sugar1 packet of silken or soft tofu2 tbsp of nooch1 tbsp of dijon mustardPuff pastry to line 1 pie dish (I use Borgs)1/4 cup of vegan cheese of choice (tonight I used Redwoods's Mozzarella Cheezly)
methodRoughly chop cauliflower, toss in 2 tbsps of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast until soft.


While the cauliflower is roasting, slice the onions, drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp of oil and cook on medium high heat in a heavy bottom pan, being careful not to brown them too much. Once the onion has wilted, turn the heat onto low, add the sugar, toss and cover the pan with a lid or a heat proof bowl, checking and stiring every 10 minutes or so. 
Drain the tofu and whizz in a food processor with the nooch and 1/2 of the caramalised onions.
Line pie pan with pastry, prick the bottom and smear the dijon on the base. 
Sprinkle remaining onions on the mustard then the cauliflower. Use the tofu mix to fill the gaps, sprinkle with cheese and cook for 30 mins.


As I mentioned before you can eat this bad boy fresh from the oven, but this dish is also delicious cold!
Last night I served this next to silverbeet (our garden yeilds many!), zucchini & mushroom marinated in shiitake tsuyu & garlic. So good!


Peace & Love!
k

No comments:

Post a Comment